Porto Comprehensive Cancer Centre
Porto.CCC aims to promote innovation and cutting-edge research in the field of Oncology, translating knowledge into results for the benefit of the patient, helping to transform the treatment of Cancer. This mission is based on a community of experts, combining assistance with high quality standards, cutting-edge scientific research, highly specialized teaching and training, in deep involvement and commitment to the community.
The Porto.CCC aims to:
1) Support collaborative and interdisciplinary research in Oncology with a view to clinical benefit for patients;
2) Promote high quality inpatient and outpatient facilities for the development of clinical research activity;
3) Sustain quality assurance of diagnostic capabilities in molecular pathology and imaging;
4) Foster solid pre-clinical research aligned with clinical trial infrastructures;
5) Train the next generation of translational scientists and clinical investigators;
6) Disseminate scientific production at a national and international level through scientific events and publication in first-rate journals, with special emphasis on Oncology;
7) Promote innovation, technological patents and the creation of spin-off companies.
“From Bedside to Bench and Back” (B3) is the concept associated with the Porto.CCC and which illustrates the operation of the consortium. “Bedside” symbolizes IPO Porto’s daily contact with the real needs of cancer patients. These needs and problems felt by patients motivate the development of investigations by the two institutions that make up the P.CCC (Bench), with the objective of finding solutions in the form of clinical trials that aim to improve the care provided with the discovery of innovative treatments. This way, the patient (Back) will be included in the clinical trials developed at the Porto.CCC. It is a cyclical process, always in search of better care for cancer patients.
External Scientific Council (ESAB)
The External Scientific Council (ESAB) of the Porto.CCC, established in early 2022, is composed be internationally renowned researchers in the various areas of cancer research and treatment:
- Prof. Ulrik Ringborg (Chairman), Director of Cancer Center Karolinska, Karolinska University Hospital, Solna, Sweden;
- Prof. Alexander Eggermont, Chief Scientific Officer, Princess Máxima Center for Pediatric Oncology, Utrecht, The Netherlands;
- Prof. Alexander Markham, Director of MRC Medical Bioinformatics Centre, Health Data Research UK, London, United Kingdom;
- Prof. Robert C. Bast Jr., Vice President for Translational Research, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA;
- Prof. Stefan Fröhling, Managing Director of the National Center for Tumor Diseases, Heidelberg, Germany.
2021- Signature of the TeamUp4Cancer Program Contract
Porto.CCC obtains funding from the North Regional Operational Program (NORTE 2020) under the PORTUGAL 2020 Partnership Agreement, through the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), in the total amount of €17,636,783.53 for the development of the collaborative Scientific Project TeamUp4Cancer, which will be developed for two years by research groups from both institutions [NORTE-01-0145-FEDER-072678].
2021 – European Cancer Research Summit
The Instituto Português de Oncologia do Porto, as a member of Porto.CCC consortium, hosted on May 3 the European Cancer Research Summit 2021, an international summit dedicated to the debate on the importance of research infrastructures in the area of Cancer, which brought together several dozen internationally renowned scientists. The highlight of this conference was the public presentation of the “Porto Declaration on Cancer Research”, a declaration that calls for the strengthening, at European level, of research in all stages of cancer, including prevention, diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. This event was part of the initiative led by the Tripartite Presidency of the European Council (Germany, Portugal and Slovenia) which identified research in the fight against cancer as one of the priorities for Europe, with the objective of significantly reducing mortality due to cancer by 2030.
2018 – 1st Gago Conference
Through i3S, Porto.CCC coordinates the holding of the first edition of the Gago Conference, an event that brings together doctors, researchers, national and European leaders in the field of Oncology (European Academy of Cancer Sciences). The conference was dedicated to stimulating the promotion of clinical research on Cancer at European level, with a view to reducing its impact on society. The event was attended by the Minister of Health, Adalberto Campos Fernandes, and the Minister of Science, Technology and Higher Education, Manuel Heitor.
Porto.CCC holds the first joint public presentation of the 2016 Research Report at the i3S facilities.
With the creation of i3S, new opportunities arise to increase the Porto Comprehensive Cancer Center consortium. The signature of the collaboration protocol takes place on April 17, 2016, with the presence of the Minister of Science, Technology and Higher Education, Manuel Heitor and the Secretary of State for Health, Manuel Delgado.